Monday, November 21, 2016

MIKE NAPOLI IS NOT A NEW YORK YANKEE

(Nov. 1, 2016 - Source: Gregory Shamus/Getty Images North America)
My buddy Skip walked up to me before... "Yanks are close to signing Mike Napoli. Did you see that?"

"Um, no... are you kidding?"  I was baffled. Partly because I'm usually very up to speed with the Yankee moves, but I have to tell you, I was wondering if I missed something when I was taking a leak or something.

"I'll find out in 2 seconds," I said and with that, I texted my son.

"Where did you hear that??? NO!! Astros are interested in him. I haven't seen the Yanks connected!" He wrote me back. 

I was quick to squash the "Napoli to the Yankees" rumor.  And that my friends is a small batch of how the Baseball Rumor Mill works. We weed through what's true and what's false to find the truth for our BYB audience.  My kid is Bleeding Yankee Blue's secret weapon.

(Oct. 31, 2016 - Source: Elsa/Getty Images North America)
I'm not saying Mike Napoli won't become a Yankee.  He's cheaper than Edwin Encarnacion, he can DH, play first and platoon with Greg Bird... but the bottom line is I just don't see it.


You see, it all started with the New York Daily News piece today when they suggested Napoli could be the perfect fit for the Yanks.  They wrote:

"If the Yankees are itching to bring in a veteran bat, go get Mike Napoli.

(Oct. 31, 2016 - Source: Gregory Shamus/Getty Images North America)
The 35-year-old will likely be looking for no more than a two-year deal, making him the ideal placeholder while the Yankees work toward their two primary goals: getting a real look at their young talent, and trimming the payroll beneath the luxury tax threshold, whatever that number might be in 2018."

Not a bad idea... I mean that, but it hasn't happened and not only that, this is just spit balling by the Daily News. Who the hell knows if Cashman even considered this guy.

Anyway, enjoy the story... or non-story here, but from now on, all trades need to be run by my 14 year old son, who will give you the 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down'.  This one... nothing happened, and so yeah... it's the big 'thumbs down'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017